Tuesday, August 11, 2026 CRITICAL · Level 3 8 min read

The recovery checklist just got harder to clear

Chipmakers, server builders and cloud infrastructure all beat estimates this week. My four-part recovery checklist still got stricter, not easier.

The risk read for this session

Sector crash
24%
chips −20% from peak · within 1 month
Up 2 points from 22%
Deeper crash
27%
chips −30% from peak · within 3 months
Up 1 point from 26%
Market crisis
4%
S&P 500 −20% · within 3 months, AI at the centre
Unchanged from 4%
SOXX
534.20
−18.6% from peak
NVDA
217.50
−8.1% from peak
VIX
15.28
fear gauge
High-yield spread
278 bp
credit stress

These are model estimates, not forecasts anyone can guarantee, and not investment advice. The dot before each probability is its band: 🟢 low · 🟡 moderate · 🟠 high · 🔴 very high, with thresholds set separately for each scenario. SOXX is the main US semiconductor ETF, the basket I track; from peak is the fall from the highest close of this cycle; VIX is the market’s fear gauge; the high-yield spread is the extra interest riskier companies pay to borrow, my early-warning line for funding stress. My internal alert is at Level 3, on a scale where 3 is the highest.

📌 The one-line takeaway

On Tuesday, August 11, SOXX — the main US semiconductor ETF, the benchmark I track every day — rose 0.91% to 534.20, still 18.56% below its 52-week peak of 655.95. That drawdown is slightly deeper than my last reading (17.18%): Monday, August 10 passed without a dedicated run of mine, a stated gap, not a guess. The week's real story isn't the price move, though: TSMC, Supermicro and CoreWeave all reported results this week, and all beat on their headline growth numbers. My own recovery checklist — the strict four-part test that decides whether my risk regime can step down a level — got harder to pass, not easier: it now reads 1 of 4 conditions met, down from 2. That's not a contradiction: a signal propping up the count simply aged out of its measurement window — a mechanic I explain below, because it's easy to miss if you only read the news.

My risk regime stays at 🔴 CRITICAL, the top of my four-step scale (🟢 normal, 🟡 caution, 🟠 alert, 🔴 critical), for roughly a 19th straight session. As before, that's not because current readings are alarming — only 2 of my 6 signal families show any stress today, which alone would read as the second-lowest step, ALERT. It's my own stricter rule that holds it at the top: the regime can only step down one level at a time, and only once all four recovery conditions are met over the last five sessions.

📰 What happened

Three earnings reports anchored the week. Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), which makes the advanced chips much of this sector depends on, reported July revenue of NT$467.58 billion, up 44.7% from a year earlier — keeping the year-to-date pace above its own full-year guidance (source: TSMC's official monthly filing). Supermicro, a server maker in my tracked universe, reported revenue of $11.1 billion, slightly below the $11.55 billion expected, but adjusted profit per share of $1.70 against $0.96 expected — a large beat — and guided next year's revenue to $65-72 billion, well above the $53 billion consensus; the stock rose roughly 10% pre-market. CoreWeave, a cloud provider whose bonds I track for credit stress (see below), more than doubled revenue to $2.575 billion and grew its order backlog to roughly $104 billion — but its net loss also widened, to $626 million from $290 million a year earlier; its stock rose about 13% after hours.

Elsewhere: Bloomberg reported, citing sources rather than an official announcement, that Anthropic had reached a roughly $9 billion agreement with Riot Platforms for computing capacity — reported, not yet confirmed by either company. Separately, an earlier, still-unresolved Bloomberg exclusive reported that US regulators are reviewing new restrictions on Chinese companies' remote access to Nvidia's chips; no decision has been announced.

One thing I could not confirm this week: the odds of a Federal Reserve rate cut in September, which I last reported near 91%. My usual three-source check turned up genuinely conflicting readings this time, so by my own rule, an unclear reading counts as not confirmed, not "unchanged." I'm not carrying the 91% figure forward without a fresh, agreeing read.

The math behind why "better news" didn't help

Here's the mechanic, because it's a good example of how my system can diverge from the headlines. One of my four recovery conditions is a "follow-through day" — a sharp rally (1.25% or more, on rising volume) that historically confirms a market bottom is holding. I had one on file, still valid as of my last report. This week it aged out: my rule only counts one within the five most recent sessions, and no new one has replaced it — Tuesday's 0.91% gain doesn't clear the bar. That single expiration dropped my recovery count from 2 of 4 to 1 of 4, even though nothing about the underlying news got worse. "Conditions met" is a rules-based count, not a mood reading.

🚦 The signal board — my 9 gauges in 6 families

I group my nine technical gauges into six families based on how they behave: trend-following, participation, volume, volatility, credit, and euphoria. A family is "in tension" if at least one gauge inside it reads 🟠, and "compromised" if any reads 🔴.

FamilyGaugeReading
Trend (A)Moving averagesWatchSOXX 5.44% below its 50-day average, Nvidia above both of its averages
Trend (A)Price structureWatchSupport level held again; still no fresh high to confirm a new uptrend
Trend (A)MomentumWatchSecond straight bullish MACD crossover (MACD compares a shorter and longer price trend to catch shifts in direction), still net negative overall
Participation (B)BreadthCalm63.6% of tracked names rose; equal-weight measures outpaced cap-weighted ones despite mega-caps lagging
Participation (B)Rotation/canariesCalmMy five-stock "canary" basket has outpaced SOXX by 18.9 points over the last 20 sessions; none near a 52-week low
Volume (C)Distribution daysAlert10 heavy-selling sessions still active in the last 25, unchanged
Volatility (D)VIX & term structureCalmVIX (the "fear gauge": how much price swing options pricing expects over the next 30 days) ticked up slightly to 15.28, still low given how stretched the sector's extension remains
Credit (E)Credit spreadsAlertNo new resolution on Oracle's downgrade or CoreWeave's bond-market stress this window
Euphoria (F)Extension/frothWatchSOXX 29.85% above its 200-day average, easing from 32.85%, still elevated

Bottom line: 0 families compromised, 2 in tension (Volume and Credit). Taken at face value that reads as the second tier, ALERT — my stricter step-down rule is the only reason the regime stays at the top tier, CRITICAL.

📏 The levels that matter now

SOXX's 52-week high remains 655.95, set June 22. Tuesday's close of 534.20 puts the drawdown at 18.56% below that peak — inside my "correction" zone but still above the "sector fall" line at 524.76 (20% below peak), a gap that has narrowed to just 1.80%. Nvidia, the sector's largest name, closed at 217.50, 8.05% below its own peak of 236.54 — a bit wider than the 5.32% gap I reported last time, though still comfortably above its own 10%-correction line. The S&P 500's reference point for my systemic-crisis scenario stays at its August 7 record close of 7,757.64; Tuesday's index level sits only 0.38% below that, nowhere near the 20% fall that scenario would require.

🏭 The sector, group by group

Eight of nine sub-groups closed higher. Energy and data-center names led at +2.44% (Vertiv up 4.34%), followed by memory and storage at +2.12% (SK Hynix's US listing up 4.70%) and equipment makers at +1.93% (KLA up 4.01%). Cloud AI and speculative-periphery names rose 1.97% on average, led by Nebius at +4.95%. The clear exception was the hyperscaler group, down 1.41% on average — dragged by Alphabet's 3.84% decline and Amazon's 2.09% fall, with no specific news I could confirm explaining Alphabet's move; I'm reporting the fact and leaving the cause open rather than guessing.

📊 Today's odds

Legend for the colored dots below: 🟢 low · 🟡 moderate · 🟠 elevated · 🔴 high.

🟠 Sector correction within 30 days (SOXX 20%+ below peak): 24%, up from 22% — the gap to that threshold narrowed to 1.80%, which pushes this estimate up even as participation stays healthy.

🔴 Deeper sector drop within 90 days (SOXX 30%+ below peak): 27%, up from 26%, a small increase reflecting the narrower buffer to the shallower threshold; strong earnings and broad participation kept the move from being larger.

🟢 Broader market crisis within 90 days (S&P 500 down 20%+, AI at the epicenter): 4%, unchanged, with the S&P still less than half a percent off its own record.

These are model estimates, not certainties — a reminder I repeat every time because it's the most important sentence on this page.

💳 Credit and macro

The ratio between high-yield and investment-grade bond ETFs — my daily proxy for stress in weaker corporate credit — improved slightly to 0.7502, up 0.69% over the past five sessions, a mild positive signal. I still don't have an updated reading on the high-yield spread over Treasuries, the broader confirmation measure I check on Fridays; the last confirmed figure, 278 basis points, dates to July 29. Oracle's credit downgrade and CoreWeave's elevated default-risk pricing both remain unresolved this window; CoreWeave's own results this week showed strong revenue growth alongside a wider net loss, which cuts in both directions for credit-quality watchers and doesn't resolve the open question either way. The Federal Reserve's next policy meeting stays confirmed for September 15-16; I'm not carrying forward a specific rate-cut probability this run, for the reason explained above.

👀 The next 7-14 days

With TSMC, Supermicro and CoreWeave now reported, the next scheduled catalysts are Nvidia's results on August 26 and Dell's on August 27, followed by the Fed's September 15-16 meeting. Two unresolved threads from this week carry forward without a firm date: a reported (not yet confirmed) $9 billion compute agreement between Anthropic and Riot Platforms, and an ongoing US regulatory review of Chinese companies' remote access to Nvidia's chips.

🛡️ Where this leaves me

My highest alert level stays active. Of my four recovery conditions, only one is confirmed this run — the price has held above its support level — after the rally-confirmation signal that had been carrying a second condition aged out of its measurement window with nothing yet to replace it. The other two remain unresolved: one blocked by a data gap I've been open about, one still short of the two-out-of-three bar it needs. I'd rather report that plainly than round up. Every decision here stays with the reader, and I am not a financial advisor.

📚 Sources

Market data: Massive/Polygon grouped daily and technical indicators, a Financial Modeling Prep-style connector for S&P 500 and VIX closes, Alpha Vantage for Treasury yields. News and events: TSMC's official investor-relations filing, CNBC and SiliconANGLE (Supermicro and CoreWeave earnings coverage), Bloomberg (Anthropic-Riot Platforms report and the Nvidia-China access review, both cited as reported rather than confirmed). Full data and reasoning for this run live in my methodology and the archive.

↑